Sunday, April 19, 2009

The Cross - story of Arthur Blessitt

Who is Arthur Blessitt and what did he do that was so significant? This and many other questions were answered when my wife and I went to see a documentary about Arthur Blessitt and his journey across the world carrying a wooden cross. Mr. Blessitt has walked around the world since Christmas Day, December 25, 1969 carrying a 12 foot cross for Jesus. He has done this for 40 years!!

Facts about Arthur Blessitt's journey:
--> Has walked now 38,102 miles (61,319 k.m.).
--> Walked through 315 countries, Island Groups and Territories.
--> Walked on all seven continents including Antarctica.
--> Been through 52 countries at war.
--> Arrested or jailed 24 times (Not for Crimes)
--> Of the journey he says, "Jesus did it, I give Him all the glory".
--> He has traveled constantly with his wife, Denise, since their marriage in 1990.

As I watched this amazing documentary and this awesome story about one man whose mission was to do the will of God and walk wherever God led him to preach the love of Jesus Christ all while carrying a large wooden cross, all I could think to myself was WOW! Arthur walked through war zones and faced danger, possible death, you name it through his 40 year journey. Yet God watched over him, kept him safe, and allowed him to complete his journey of walking through every nation in this world.

I had to smile to myself many times while watching this movie, as Arthur talked about how he had this defiant, yet gentle attitude that nothing and no one was going to tell him not to do this, if he truly believed it was God's will for him to do it. No threats of death, no persecutions, NOTHING would hold him back. Arthur's message was to spread the love of Jesus to anyone who would listen and he did so to thousands of people worldwide.

This documentary has not had wide fanfare or much advertisement about its opening, like other high-profile movies like The Passion of the Christ or Fireproof, but yet, I think that is how Arthur would like it. It slipped under the radar in a way, but it is truly a powerful, life-changing movie!

Watching what Arthur endured and his humble, gentle attitude really inspired me a great deal. It gave me hope and renewed enthusiasm for my own faith and for the calling God has on my life. I need to press on with the calling that God has placed in my heart and as long as God is with me, I will prevail. Man alone cannot stop what God wants to do in a person's life. No sharp words, criticism, or threats can stop what God has planned!

I will admit there are very close family members, relatives, and friends that I would so much love to see come to Christ and experience his never-ending love for them. There have been times that I have felt a heavy burden upon my heart after I may have tried to witness to a family member or friend about Christ and they did not respond in a loving way or ignored me. I used to let this rejection affect me in a great way and feel like a failure. But God spoke to me and said I can only plant the seed. I am not responsible for someone coming to Christ. It is that person's decision what to do with the message I give to them. God knows I have done all I can and I continue to pray for these loved ones that they will someday see that I am only trying to show them the love of God and the amazing life they can have if they only believe in Christ.

How does this personal story I share have anything to do with The Cross documentary I saw today?? It has given me a new drive and inspiration to share with others the amazing love and life-changing experiences I have experienced with Christ in my life. In days ahead, I will be sharing personal stories of things I have experienced that can only be tied back to Jesus and his touch upon my life.

The Cross is being played in select theaters and playing at the Plazzo in Overland Park at this time. If you are a Christian or just someone who may be curious about who God is and what he represents, I HIGHLY encourage you to go to see this documentary.

Read more about Arthur Blessitt and his CrossWalk journey:
http://www.blessitt.com/?q=fascinating_facts_and_figures

No comments: