Monday, May 10, 2010

Social networking - all about connections

For the great majority of human history, people resided in small, intimate hunter-gatherer communities. We have been embedded in off-line social networks for much of our lives. Many times, in today's day and age, when people think of social networks, they think of Twitter, Facebook, etc. These tools enable us to connect with so many more people than we ever used to via the phone, email, or in person. But, they are just tools. The real social networking occurs when we connect with people and share in each other's lives. Those companies that find the most success in using social networking tools to reach out to people are those that take time to interact and get to know those who follow them. That is why I don't understand those companies that use Twitter and Facebook to broadcast messages. Sure, you can reach a vast number of people with messages via social networking tools, but why waste time on them if you are not going to invest time in interacting with your customers? Many companies are starting to turn social media tools into the "new direct mail" that so many have received that we tire of easily.

Besides companies, there are many people who have various reasons for how they use social networking tools in their life. I have been asked a few times by some on how I use Twitter and what is my goal in using these tools? To be honest, I don't have a set goal in using Twitter, Facebook, etc. and how I use them may differ from how others use them. I use social networking tools to connect with people and build relationships with them. I also find great joy in connecting people I know with others who could help them in some way. Example: Recently, a good friend of mine, Laura Wynn tweeted she was looking for a photographer to take photos of the Linking Women luncheon that is held every month. I was sent a direct message from Jenae Weinbrenner mentioning she is a photographer by profession. I then sent a note directly to Laura mentioning she should talk to Jenae. They connected and at the May Linking Women luncheon, Jenae took wonderful photographs that were loved by so many there. She just recently agreed to be the Linking Women permanent photographer! Congratulations, Jenae! This is what TRUE social networking is all about!

I have also had a few claim I use social networking tools as a form of online therapy since I will at times share quotes, Bible verses, or the struggles I am facing. Some believe I have built a certain persona on Twitter and should only stick to this perceived persona that others expect to see from me. But the truth is that the struggles I go through are a part of my life and it helps me to share with others what is on my mind. I have found many times that by doing this, I am able to connect with those who can relate and give me advice, tips on how to deal with things. Again, to me, this is TRUE social networking. There are many I know who have found hope or new confidence just by posting a message online about what they are going through and others reaching out to them. In fact, there are some who the only connections they may have are through social networking tools. We see this in the way Facebook is used for grandparents who stay connected to their kids and grandkids via photos, messages, video shared on Facebook.

Nicholas Christakis explores how the large-scale, face-to-face social networks in which we are embedded affect our lives: The hidden influence of social networks. We are interconnected to hundreds or thousands of specific people, most of whom we do not know. We affect them and they affect us.

I have made great friends with many via Twitter or Facebook and many reside in the Kansas City area. I would not have met them without social networking tools that enabled virtual connections first and then off-line meetings later via tweet-ups or other community gatherings through Social Media Club of KC events. So I will continue to connect with people virtually, try to get opportunities to meet them off-line if possible, and connect them with others. In reality, it is like a circle of networking in this way. Connect, meet, introduce and so on.

How have social networking tools helped you in your life? How do you use these tools? Do you blend in your personal life with your professional life online or do you keep them separate?

3 comments:

Laura Wynn said...

Wonderful insights. Thankyou for the inclusion!

Pam Hausner said...

Mark, I know you because of social media. I'm glad you're there.

Dora Beth Christy said...

I like social networking w' past friends that I really clicked w'/that can give support/understand me better than even family usually can.
I do find it odd why people will ask to be my "friend" when we hardly knew each other in the past, then don't even try to get together when I mention I'll be back in town hanging at a free kid friendly location. (Have done that a few times this past year, and wonder why they are my "friend" if they aren't willing to stop by and say "hi" at least once in several trips through.)
So I'll keep social networking, enjoying the people that do it for friendships/information sharing/support (because stay at home moms usually CRAVE adult conversation - and I'm so glad I have healthy kids, but don't mind praying for those friends of friends I may never see, but are going through hard times such as kid's w' cancer...). But I may be eliminating some "friends" after a couple more stops through town and no contact - as face to face networking is also nice :)
Wish I could see you guys some time Mark! My grandparents aren't in KS any more... but that doesn't mean we won't come by some time to see you guys. We'll see :) (And if nothing else, I lump you w' friends that understand me better than family some times does - so won't be unfriending you :) )